|Animaniacs Episode 5|
|Air date:||September 17, 1993|
|Variable verse:|| Dot: The rain in Spainy...
|Gag credit(s):|| Tight Rope Walker-Kathryn Page
|Closing tag:|| Yakko, Wakko & Dot: Goodbye, nurse!
|List of Animaniacs Episodes|
Dot: The rain in Spainy...
Taming of the Screwy (406-614)
Dr. Scratchansniff has to teach the Warners good manners for a party. However, this is a task easier said than done. When the Warners do learn good manners, they are kicked out of the party by Mr. Plotz, who wants to impress two Japanese producers. In the end, it is the Warners who host the great party.
Yakko Warner, Wakko Warner, Dot Warner, Dr. Scratchansniff, Thaddeus Plotz, Ralph the Guard, Hello Nurse, Chicken Boo (referenced), Bugs Bunny (picture), Daffy Duck (picture), Dot's Pet, Mary Hartless, Mr. Kato, Miss Tanaka, Mr. Director, Slappy Squirrel, Rita (nonspeaking), Runt (nonspeaking)
- This was the first episode of Animaniacs to feature a full half-hour story.
- While the episode's title references the William Shakespeare play The Taming of the Shrew, the plot has far more in common with George Bernard Shaw's play Pygmalion and Lerner & Lowe's Broadway musical adaptation, My Fair Lady (which is also referenced in this episode's variable verse). The play involves a narcissistic professor of language taking a young Cockney flower girl off the street and teaching her to speak in an upper-crust English dialect in order to pass her off as a noblewoman at a ball (to win a bet).
- It is shown that Yakko speaks perfect Japanese. When translated into English, the conversation he has with Mr. Kato is:
Yakko: "Tokyo is an extremely interesting place, isn't it?"
Mr. Kato: "Please go there."
Yakko: "If there's still a place to go, eh?"
- The Warners' favorite movie stars are Michelle Pfeiffer (Yakko), Mel Gibson (Dot) and Don Knotts (Wakko).
- Slappy Squirrel, Rita and Runt make cameos at the party. At the beginning of the cartoon, Chicken Boo is first mentioned when someone says, "It was a chicken, I tell ya! A giant chicken!"
- This is the first aired appearance of Mr. Director. The short "Hello Nice Warners" was produced before "Taming of the Screwy" but aired afterward, making Mr. Director's appearance here truly zany.
- Thaddeus Plotz's full name still has not been revealed at this point. He is referred to only as "T.P." (likely a pun on the shorthand term for toilet paper) and he is credited as "C.E.O."
- Celebrity guests at the studio party (in order of appearance):
- Robert Patrick (as the T-1000 from Terminator 2: Judgment Day)
- Geena Davis & Susan Sarandon (as Thelma & Louise)
- Spike Lee
- Annette Bening
- Warren Beatty
- Bea Arthur
- Danny Devito (as the Penguin from Batman Returns)
- Mel Gibson
- Danny Glover
- Joe Pesci
- Sigourney Weaver (as Ellen Ripley from Alien3)
- Michael Keaton (as Batman)
- Jack Palance
- Luke Perry?
- Michelle Pfeiffer (as Catwoman from Batman Returns)
- Mike Myers & Dana Carvey (as Wayne Campbell & Garth Algar)
- Whoopi Goldberg
- Billy Crystal (as Mitch Robbins from City Slickers)
- Jaleel White (as Steve Urkel from Family Matters)
- The noncelebrity characters in this episode are Thing from The Addams Family and Beauty and the Beast.
- Geena Davis sounds exactly like Slappy. Joe Pesci sounds exactly like Pesto (which makes sense, since Pesto is a caricature of Pesci).
- Jack Palance doing a one-arm push-up is a reference to when he did it while accepting his Oscar for his role in City Slickers.
- Wakko: (playing with a head statue of Dr. Scratchansniff) Ooh, a giant Pez dispenser! Want some?
- Dr. Scratchansniff: Stop playing with my bust!
- Yakko: (pause) Mwah, goodnight, everybody!
- Dr. Scratchansniff: (demonstrating polite etiquette with Hello Nurse) How do you do? Now, Yakko, you try.
- Yakko: How do you do...that thing with your mouth?
- Jack Palance: Hey, Slappy, did you ever see this? (does a one-armed pushup like he did at the Oscars)
- Slappy: Save it for the Jack LaLanne story, bubele! (to Luke Perry) Y'know, you remind me of a very mature Johnny Quest.
- Tanaka: Mr. Kato would like to know who is responsible for this.
- Plotz: It was them! It was them! I had nothing to do with it! Don't look at me!
- Mr. Kato: Great party!
- Other japanese investor: Great party!
- Mr. Kato and other japanese investor: Great party! Hahahahaha!
- Plotz: Great party? Hehehe, yes, uh, great party... ehehehe.
- Madonna: Come on, you guys! We're gonna play truth...or dare.
|Rob Paulsen||Yakko Warner, Dr. Scratchansniff, Steve Urkel, Dana Carvey|
|Jess Harnell||Wakko Warner, Mike Myers|
|Tress MacNeille||Dot Warner, Hello Nurse, Bea Arthur, Michelle Pfeiffer, Whoopi Goldberg, Madonna|
|Frank Welker||Thaddeus Plotz, Ralph T. Guard, Dot's Pet|
|Sherri Stoner||Slappy Squirrel, Geena Davis|
|Chick Vennera||Joe Pesci|
|John Mariano||Danny DeVito|
|Maurice LaMarche||Jack Palance, Billy Crystal|
|Bob Ito||Mr. Kato|
|Julia Kato||Miss Tanaka|
|Valri Bromfield||Mary Hartless|
|Dorian Harewood||Spike Lee, Danny Glover|
|Paul Rugg||Mr. Director|
Kathryn Page's Credit
Tight Rope Walker
Yakko, Wakko & Dot: Goodbye, nurse!
|Previous episode:||Next episode:|
|Episode 4||Episode 6|