Their story is similar to that of George and Lennie from John Steinbeck's novella Of Mice and Men. Runt and Lennie share their lack of intelligence, while Rita resembles George's shrewd personality, as well as his responsibility to care for his mentally challenged friend. In both stories the characters travel from place to place, searching for a better life. In George and Lennie's case it's a farm of their own, while Rita and Runt are looking for a home, usually somewhere in California. The episode Of Nice and Men is a direct parody of the novella, indicating some level of resemblance was intentional.
- Piano Rag/When Rita Met Runt
- No Pain,No Painting/Les Miseranimals
- Roll Over,Beethoven/The Cat and the Fiddle
- Disasterpeice Theater/Hercule Yakko/Home on De-Nile/A Midsummer's Night Dream
- O Silly Mio/Puttin' on the Blitz/The Great Wakkorotti: The Summer Concert
- Smitten with Kittens/Alas Poor Skullhead
- Mobster Mash/Lake Titicaca/Icebreakers
- Of Course You Know,This Means Warners/Up A Tree/Wakko's Gizmo
- Survey Ladies/Of Nice and Men/What a Dump!
- Scare Happy Slappy/Witch One/Macbeth
- This segment was dropped after the first season of Animaniacs. The reason for this was because it became too difficult to create a new song for Rita to sing in each episode. They would appear in the direct-to-video film Wakko's Wish and make occasional cameos in the series.