If you're looking for the Genesis version of "Animaniacs", go here.
Animaniacs is a game based on the series of the same name, and the second Animaniacs game released. The game was created by Konami and Nintendo for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, 6 months after Konami made the Genesis version on November of 1994.
The plot for this game is that Pinky and the Brain stole pages of the script to the new movie that the Warner Bros. studio was developing, so Thaddeus Plotz asks Yakko, Wakko, and Dot to find and bring back all 24 of the pages to get a good ending to the game, even though the game can be completed without obtaining all of them, despite getting a bad ending if you do that. A complete list of all of the characters that appear in this game are Yakko, Wakko, Dot, Ralph, Dr. Scratchansniff, Hello Nurse, Pinky and the Brain, Thaddeus Plotz, Buttons and Mindy, Rita and Runt, The Mime, and The Goodfeathers.
|A Screenshot from the game|
The 2D game is played on a 3D movement field, with several "lanes" to switch to up and down to add depth to the game, using Up and Down on the D-Pad. You have a dash attack by pressing A twice, the ability to stack all three Warners in a tower formation to reach places your normal jump can't, and a slot machine on the bottom of the screen to provide bonuses when the slots align to specific characters on it after collecting a certain amount of coins.
The Warners don't have special abilities of their own to use in this version of the game compared to the Genesis version, they all control and function the same as the next. The only difference is if you lose a Warner, you can't form the stack.
You start with no continues, and the Warners are essentially the closest thing to having a life counter in this game. When you get hit once or get caught by Ralph, the Warner you're controlling is captured and you switch to another, technically losing a "life". When all three Warners are captured, it's Game Over and you go back to the title screen if you have no continues left, or you start back at the map screen if you do. You can get them all back by going to the Water Tower in the center of the map and completing a jumping puzzle to the top.
You can earn continues from getting 100 coins or by aligning all three Plotz icons on the slot machine to give you an extra continue. Using a continue starts you from the beginning of the level instead of the beginning of the game. Collecting 5 coins earns you a spin on the slot machine on the bottom of the screen to get more rewards. Silver coins have a value of one, gold ones are valued at 10 coins.
The slot machine will continue to spin as long as there's one spin left in the "hold" part of the HUD, even when you're outside of a level and on the map screen.
Slot Machine Rewards
Most of them need three in a row to acquire, otherwise nothing happens.
- Slappy Squirrel, Skippy Squirrel, Chicken Boo: Gives extra coins or multiplies your current coins by 2
- Yakko, Wakko and Dot: Gives back all captured Warners. They can appear in any order on the slots.
- Hello Nurse: Temporary invincibility, except for falling into pits, etc. Also stops the slots from rolling until shield disappears.
- Plotz: Extra continue
- Ralph, Pinky, Brain: Takes coins away/cuts current coins in half
There are 4 studio levels, 5 including the boss rush and final fight with Pinky and the Brain in the Editing Room level, and not counting the Water Tower level and Tutorial level at the Studio HQ: Fantasy, Adventure, Sci-Fi, and Aquatic. Each stage has different sections to progress through inside and different amounts of script pages to collect in the form of books, some of which can be acquired by defeating a boss at the end of it, others will have you straying from the path to get them, collecting chains of coins without missing even one of them, or in the case of the final boss fight, damaging it a different way than the norm.
- Even though Ralph works for Thaddeus, he along with many other enemies, like Pinky and the Brain and their minions, stand in the Warners' way, despite their jobs to get the pages back from Thaddeus himself.
- This game has other Animaniacs characters, such as Slappy, Skippy, and Chicken Boo, even though they appear only as slot icons that give rewards(Skippy gives 20 coins, Slappy gives 50 coins, Chicken Boo doubles the coins you have), as well as Hello Nurse who gives you a golden shield around you, providing invincibility for a short amount of time outside of insta-death hazards like pits, and Thaddeus Plotz who gives you the mission to retrieve the script pages, and getting all three of him in a row on the slots gives you an extra continue.
- Getting Yakko, Wakko, and Dot in any order on the slots gives you back all of your lost Warners without having to exit the level you're on and go back to the Water Tower.
- Ralph, Pinky, and the Brain on a slot machine takes away coins. Ralph makes you lose all of your coins, Pinky makes you lose 10 coins, and Brain cuts the coins you have in half.